Loaded with spices and topped with a flavor bursting corn mango salsa, these tacos made with rockfish are simple to prepare and super tasty.
Servings: 1 taco
Nutrition Facts : servingSize 1 taco, calories 324 kcal, Carbohydrate 40 g, Protein 18 g, Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 30 mg, Sodium 228 mg, Fiber 4 g, Sugar 9 g, unSaturated Fat 4 g
- 1 lb rockfish
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- flour tortillas
- lettuce or cabbage
- 2 mangoes, pitted, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 ears corn, sliced from the cob (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- juice from 1 lime
- First you want to grill or saute the corn. If using the grill, soak corn for 10 minutes. Wrap each in aluminum foil and grill 3-4 minutes per side. If sauteing, cut the corn off the cob and cook over medium-high heat in skillet for about 5 minutes or until corn starts to char.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the mango, corn, avocado, jalapeño, red onion, cilantro, basil and lime juice. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, garlic powder and black pepper. Rub the seasoning into the fish, making sure it's entirely coated.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat in large skillet. Add fish to skillet and cook for 4 minutes per side or until done.
- Heat the tortillas over medium heat in small skillet for 30 seconds on each side to make pliable. To serve, add cabbage or lettuce, fish and the corn mango salsa.
Nutrition Facts :
- 4 oz rockfish, sliced into 4, 1 oz pieces
4 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
1 cup shredded cabbage
- Rustic Salsa:
- Makes 6 servings
- 1 16 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- Â¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Â¼ yellow or red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 jalapeÃ±o, stem removed and sliced
- Â¼ tsp cumin
- Â¼ tsp chili powder
- Â¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat a grill pan or large skillet over high heat with a generous splash of olive oil.
- Add fish and sear on both sides, approximately 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Assemble taco fillings by adding homemade salsa, cabbage, and avocado slices, placing each piece of fish on top.
- Garnish with extra lime wedges and salsa to serve.
A fruit salsa of watermelon, mango and heirloom tomato is the perfect counterpoint to the delicate flavor of rockfish in these lightly spiced tacos.
Nutrition Facts : calories 301 calories
- 1 tsp each ground coriander, cumin and ancho chile powder (or other red chile powder)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp each sea salt and ground black pepper
- 1 lb Pacific rockfish fillets (or other firm, sustainable white fish), rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1 x 2-inch strips
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (TRY: California Olive Ranch Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
- 1 small heirloom tomato, cored and chopped
- 1/2 small mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped seedless watermelon
- 1 tbsp chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Prepare salsa: Combine all salsa ingredients and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine coriander, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder and ¼ tsp each salt and pepper. Toss fish with oil and then spice mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet on medium-high, heat tortillas in batches until warm and pliable, about 1 minute per side. Stack tortillas, wrap in foil and set aside.
- To skillet (still on medium-high), add fish and cook, flipping pieces carefully with a spatula until fish is just opaque throughout, about 2 minutes per side. Divide fish, greens and salsa among tortillas.
Pacific rockfish is the star of the show in these rockfish tacos with cilantro lime tartar sauce. The fish is perfectly seasoned and blackened then the juicy chunks are tucked into warm tortillas with crunchy cabbage slaw and drizzled with a tangy cilantro lime tartar sauce. They're quick and healthy to make for a light dinner that's ready in 20 minutes!
Servings: 1 = 3 tacos
Nutrition Facts : servingSize 1 = 3 tacos, calories 492 kcal, Carbohydrate 38 g, Protein 37 g, Fat 20 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Trans Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 96 mg, Sodium 1410 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 5 g, unSaturated Fat 13 g
- ¾ cup tartar sauce (use your favorite brand)
- ¼ cup minced cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 ½ lb rockfish
- 2 tablespoons blackening spice (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 12 4-inch tortillas (warmed)
- Minced red onion, cilantro, and avocado slices, and lime wedges (for serving)
- In a small bowl, mix the tartar sauce, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Dry the rockfish with paper towels then season both sides with blackening spice.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the rockfish. Let it cook undisturbed for 4 minutes then give the pan a shake so the fish releases from the pan. Flip the rockfish over and let it cook for 2 more minutes then take the pan off of the heat and break the fish into many smaller pieces.
- While the fish is cooking, make the slaw by mixing ¼ cup of the cilantro lime tartar sauce with the shredded cabbage.
- To serve the tacos, pile some slaw on a warm tortilla, top with a few pieces of blackened rockfish, any or all of the toppings, and a spoonful of the cilantro lime tartar sauce.
Crispy shelled rockfish tacos with a lime cabbage carrot slaw
Servings: 2 6″ tacos
Nutrition Facts : servingSize 2 6″ tacos, calories 467 kcal, Carbohydrate 41 g, Protein 68 g, Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Trans Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 170 mg, Sodium 2113 mg, Fiber 10 g, Sugar 11 g, unSaturated Fat 4 g
- 12 ounces rockfish filets
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 2 medium limes*
- 1/2 cup carrots, thickly shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup cilantro (optional)
- 12 6" corn tortillas
- Slice the red onion into thin strips and submerge them in cold water for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the cabbage and shred carrots into a large bowl. Zest and juice both the limes.
- Mince the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon of salt then use the edge of your knife to scrape it into a paste.
- Combine the garlic paste with 4 tablespoons of lime juice with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and cumin. Toss to mix, then let sit for 5 minutes. Taste after that then add a pinch of salt or more lime juice if needed.
- Season the rockfish with chili powder, salt, lime zest, and garlic powder.
- Crisp the corn tortillas in 3 tablespoons of oil and set to drain over paper towels.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Sear the rockfish filets for 2 minutes per side, then remove to a plate.
- Assemble tacos with fish, then slaw, and cilantro if desired. Squeeze over more lime juice and enjoy.